Pets for children21.09.2022
Before buying any pet, it is important to share the responsibilities for caring for him with the child. You can read in advance information about the animal, its features and preferences. The kid must clearly understand and realize that part of the care for a new friend will fall on his shoulders. Therefore, you should make sure in advance that the baby is ready for such a responsible step.
It is also necessary to take into account the opinion of other family members, because if one of them is categorically against buying an animal, it will not be possible to avoid conflicts and quarrels on this basis in the future.
What else is important to know before getting a pet? And which animal is right for your baby?
What to consider before buying
Even the smallest pet can change family relationships for better or worse. Therefore, before visiting the pet store, you need to consider several factors at once.
- Baby’s age . Until the age of three, he is likely to perceive a living creature as a toy and may inadvertently harm him. In addition, at this age, the child is not yet able to take care of the animal himself, so most of the care for him will fall on the shoulders of other family members.
- Apartment size . Every animal needs its own space. For example, keeping large breeds of dogs in ordinary apartments is quite problematic. It should also be noted that some pets will need to allocate space not only for food, but also for the toilet.
- Tendency to allergies . If at least one of the family members has it, it is necessary to find out the opinion of the allergist on this matter.
- Family budget . The maintenance of the animal includes the cost of food, and periodic visits to the veterinarian, and other expenses. For example, some breeds of dogs must be trained. Find out in advance how much you will need per month for the desired pet, and compare all the costs for it with your financial capabilities.
- Family lifestyle . If the adults are at work all day and the kids are at school, some animals will get very lonely. And if your family travels often, it is worth considering whether it will be possible for someone close to take care of the pet.
With proper care of the animal, all the costs of its maintenance will pay off very quickly. In addition, such care will bring the baby not only joy, but also teach him important things.
Benefits of having a pet for a child
Communication with animals has a beneficial effect on the psychological state of not only children, but also adults. In medicine, there is even such a thing as “zootherapy”.
Zootherapy is a special complex that includes both psychological and physiological effects. A special type of psychotherapeutic assistance, which is used in the complex treatment of depression, anxiety and other psychological disorders.
Constant interaction with a pet cheers up and favorably affects the development of the baby. It will help:
- develop empathy and compassion (the baby will learn to understand that other living beings also feel pain, so you need to treat them carefully);
- reduce stress levels (a few minutes of playing or stroking a pet will help the child calm down and reduce anxiety);
- learn to be responsible (any domestic animal needs care, so taking care of it daily, the baby becomes more independent);
- increase the level of physical activity (if you get a dog, you will have a reason to walk more often, and you can have fun and actively spend time at home by playing with a kitten);
- make new friends (“dog lovers” easily get to know each other while walking, and for owners of other animals there are many opportunities to find like-minded people on the Internet).
While there are many benefits, pet ownership also has its downsides. And they depend on the type of animal chosen.
Caring for a cat does not require much time and effort, and you can get it even in an apartment with a small area. She, of course, will become an affectionate and playful friend for the crumbs. However, it is worth remembering that most cats have a wayward and capricious character.
- a cat, even during the game, can bite or scratch;
- someone will have to regularly change the cat tray;
- sometimes cats can “mark” the territory, spoil furniture or things.
It can become for the baby not only the most faithful friend, but also a guard. However, sufficient time should be devoted to its upbringing and training. The main thing is to choose the breed that is optimally suitable for the age of the child and the size of the living space.
If the child is already old enough and will walk the dog himself, the weight of the animal should not exceed the weight of the baby. Otherwise, he will not be able to keep the dog on a leash in any situation.
- the cost of special feed;
- daily walks;
- cleaning up after a small puppy;
- some dogs may chew on shoes and furniture, especially if they are left alone for a long time in the apartment.
The most “family” breeds are Labradors, poodles, collies, pugs, beagles, cocker spaniels, French bulldogs. But dogs of hunting and fighting breeds, which include Dobermans, Rottweilers, Alabai , require special education and professional training. Otherwise, they can be aggressive and become a source of danger.
Small dogs such as Chihuahuas, Pekingeses or, for example, Dalmatians, are not as aggressive, but may feel a sense of rivalry towards the child. This makes it difficult for them to make friends.
Does not require a lot of space and attention. Hamsters tolerate loneliness well and can even attack relatives who find themselves in the same cage with them. It is important to choose the right “house” and accessories for them, taking into account the size of the breed, as well as regularly clean the cage.
Kids love to watch these funny animals. It is especially interesting for a child to feed a pet by hand. However, care should be taken to ensure that the animal does not get out of the cage, because due to its small size it can get lost and most likely die.
- hamsters are nocturnal animals, so you need to prepare in advance for the fact that they will make noise at night;
- the animals are not very contact and are poorly tamed (in case of fright, they can bite painfully);
- short life expectancy (the child may experience stress due to the death of a pet).
It must be remembered that hamsters are very prolific. If a male and a female live in the same cage, they will quickly give offspring that will need to be attached somewhere.
Another rodent, but more sociable and affectionate. Guinea pigs willingly go to the hands and quickly get used to the owner. Unlike hamsters, these animals need company, so it is better to have several individuals at once.
Due to their rather large size, pets need an appropriate cage. And when letting them out for a walk around the house, you need to be prepared for the fact that they will stain all the places of their stay with feces.
Guinea pigs are very shy animals that require careful handling. Due to stress or fear, they can get very sick. Therefore, it is important to explain to the baby that rodents should be handled with care: do not scream, scare or play with them against their will.
- can scream and squeal in a cage;
- their “home” gets dirty very quickly;
- Not suitable for very young children.
An unpretentious little animal that can easily survive a long absence of owners, provided there is enough food. These rodents are quite smart. They can be taught to run through the maze, play ball and even give a paw.
They easily remember their owner and are quickly tamed. Some children even walk with these animals on the street. Due to its high intelligence, a rat can make an escape and easily get lost in an apartment. Therefore, the cage must be chosen with a secure lock.
- specific smell;
- noise at night;
- if the rat is accustomed to leaving the cage, it can gnaw on furniture, things and even wires.
Long-livers among pets: can live more than 50 years. You can get a land or water turtle. But for the latter, you will need to buy a special aquaterrarium.
It is very interesting for children to observe the movements and habits of these unhurried animals. They are unpretentious in food: a little special food, vegetables and fruits are enough.
- the terrarium needs to be cleaned regularly;
- for the winter, some species of turtles hibernate, it will be problematic to organize suitable conditions for this.
Turtles do not cause allergies, so they can be started even in those families where there are allergies.
An aquarium with live fish will not only decorate the interior, but also help to relax. Watching these creatures calms and relieves stress. And for a child, this is also an excellent visual aid with which you can study wildlife.
Fish are not very whimsical in care: it is enough to feed them regularly. Even a toddler can easily cope with this task.
- an aquarium and equipment for it is expensive;
- cleaning an aquarium is a rather laborious process.
A cheerful and active bird that can become a true friend for all family members. Some breeds of parrots can be taught to talk, which will especially please children. These birds definitely need to periodically fly outside the cage to keep their wings in good shape.
Parrots are sociable creatures, so it is better to have two birds by organizing a suitable “housing” for them. The cage should be spacious, with perches, mirrors and other accessories. Feeding the birds will not be a hassle, as they eat special grain mixtures, vegetables and fruits.
- constant noise;
- daily cleaning of the cage from feathers and debris;
- “footprints” on furniture and wallpaper that birds leave during the flight.
Parrots can live up to 80 years. This also needs to be remembered before deciding to get these birds.
Cute and smart animals. They can remember their nickname and even become accustomed to the tray. It is better to buy a small animal, which is easier to train and tame.
Rabbits need a spacious cage, so keeping them in a small area will be problematic. However, they are very unpretentious: it is enough to feed them regularly and clean up the dirt. If you let the animals out for a walk around the apartment, you need to be prepared not only for cleaning excrement, but also for damaged furniture.
- if the baby treats the animal carelessly, the rabbit may bite him or hit him painfully with his hind legs;
- sometimes an unpleasant odor can come from the animals;
- if you do not pay enough attention to the rabbit, it will be difficult to tame it.
Very soft animals that require special care. In their “home” should be:
- several tiers with shelves;
- sand bath.
In addition, it is necessary to maintain the temperature in the cell at a certain level.
Chinchillas are quickly tamed and practically not aggressive. You can even play ball with them. However, you can only let the animals out of the cage under supervision, as they can gnaw on furniture and wires. And it is best to have at least two individuals. So they definitely won’t get bored.
- night noise;
- expensive cell;
- you can not hold the animal in your arms for a long time so that it does not overheat;
- if frightened, they can bite.
What animals should not be kept
Some animals are not meant to be kept at home. Not only will they themselves suffer from unsuitable environments, but they can also be a danger to all family members.
- Representatives of the weasel family: ferrets, weasels, minks. In captivity, they are under stress and constantly get sick. Plus, they ruin everything they can get their hands on.
- Wild forest animals: squirrels, foxes, hedgehogs. They can be not only carriers of dangerous diseases, but also painfully bite or scratch a child.
- Exotic animals: snakes, chameleons, agamas. It is very difficult for them to organize suitable living conditions. In addition, they are not very sociable.
Any pet needs care and attention. Therefore, before visiting the pet store, it is important to weigh all the pros and cons of keeping a pet and discuss with the child his responsibilities in caring for the animal.
To make things easier for your little one, create a daily pet care schedule. It can be written in it which of the family members will feed or walk the animal today, and who, for example, will clean the cage. This method will help to quickly instill in the child not only a sense of responsibility, but also organizational skills.
Photo: © Shutterstock.com