Canape on skewers07.07.2022
Canapes (from the French “canape” – “tiny”) are small sandwiches on skewers that can be served as an appetizer or dessert. It is especially convenient to offer them at a buffet table, where guests do not eat at the table.
You can make canapés even from the most budgetary ingredients. To do this, you will need skewers or toothpicks that will hold the dish together.
We will tell you more about how and from what products you can make tiny sandwiches.
How to cook
Canapes are designed for one bite, so you need to cut the products so that it is convenient to eat them at a time. It is undesirable to use a liquid sauce like ketchup or mayonnaise in cooking. It can ruin the appearance of the dish or the clothes of the guests.
The recommended approximate weight of one sandwich is no more than 40 g, and the diameter is 4 cm.
There is no universal form of canape. There are many special molds for cutting products in stores. To save time, you can cut all the products in advance and arrange them in separate containers. Prepare canapes at the rate of 3-6 pcs. per person.
How to make canapes
The advantage of this dish is that it can be made from literally anything. Canapés are usually based on fresh or toasted bread. Instead, you can use crackers or pieces of hard vegetables.
One of the most common ingredients for canapes is fish. It can be expensive red fish, and a more budget option – herring or sprats. The latter, by the way, go well with rye bread.
Classic canapes with herring and cucumber
For 8 servings you will need:
- black bread – 50 g;
- slightly salted herring fillet – 80 g;
- fresh or pickled cucumber – 50 g;
- dill – 2 sprigs.
- Bread and herring cut into identical sticks.
- Peel the cucumber, cut into cubes.
- Put a cucumber on a slice of bread, a piece of fish and a small sprig of dill on top.
- Secure the sandwich with a skewer.
Canape with salmon or trout
The dish turns out to be very bright, so it is great for a festive buffet or buffet.
For 8 servings take:
- rye bread – 50 g;
- curd cheese – 70 g;
- slightly salted salmon – 80 g;
- quail eggs – 8 pcs.;
- dill – 3 sprigs.
- Boil eggs and peel.
- Finely chop the dill and mix with curd cheese.
- Cut the fish into small pieces.
- Cut off the crusts of the bread, form pieces according to the size of the fish.
- Dry in the oven or in a dry frying pan.
- For each slice of bread, put a little curd cheese, a piece of salmon and an egg.
- Secure everything with a skewer.
Sausage or ham goes well with cheese and vegetables. Such sandwiches can be served both on the everyday table and for a gala dinner.
Canape with dry-cured sausage and cucumber
For 10 servings you will need:
- fresh cucumber – 100 g;
- dry-cured sausage – 50 g;
- pitted olives – 10 pcs.
- Wash the cucumber, cut lengthwise into two parts.
- Cut the cucumber halves into small slices about 7-8 mm wide.
- Cut the sausage into thin slices.
- Place the cucumber slice upright.
- Using a skewer, fasten an olive wrapped with a piece of sausage on it.
Sandwiches with boiled sausage and cheese
The classic combination of sausage and cheese will definitely please all guests. Such a hearty appetizer can easily replace a salad and help save time.
For 8 servings take:
- loaf or white bread – 100 g;
- Dutch cheese – 100 g;
- fresh cucumber – 1 pc.;
- boiled sausage – 100 g;
- parsley – 2 branches.
- Wash the cucumber and cut into slices.
- Bread, cheese and sausage cut into equal slices 1 cm thick.
- Put sausage on bread, cheese on top, then cucumber.
- Fasten everything with a skewer.
- Sprinkle the finished sandwiches with chopped parsley.
Fruit canapes are often prepared for buffets and children’s parties. This dish is convenient to eat “on the go”, and its unusual shape will interest kids.
Canape with strawberry, banana and kiwi
For 6 servings you will need:
- banana – 1 pc.;
- strawberries – 300 g;
- kiwi – 2 pcs.
- Peel the kiwi, cut lengthwise and cut into slices.
- Cut banana into slices, strawberries – lengthwise into 3-4 parts.
- Prick the fruit one by one on a skewer: first strawberries, then kiwi and banana.
A more complex option that is suitable for a festive table for a large company.
For 20 servings take:
- canned pineapple – 200 g;
- strawberries – 200 g;
- blueberries – 200 g;
- apples – 3 pcs.;
- grapes – 200 g;
- kiwi – 4 pcs.;
- powdered sugar – 15 g.
- Wash the apples, peel and cut into cubes.
- Also cut the kiwi.
- Wash strawberries and remove stems.
- Pineapple cut into cubes.
- Rinse grapes and blueberries under running water.
- On a long skewer, first prick a grape, then blueberries, kiwi, pineapple, apple and strawberries (whole).
- Sprinkle canapes with powdered sugar before serving.
Fruit in canapes can be alternated with marshmallows, marmalade or other suitable sweets.
How to apply
It is recommended to serve canapes on a wide flat plate, laid out in several rows. Meat or fish sandwiches can be decorated with herbs, fruit sandwiches with mint leaves.
Before serving, sandwiches should be sent to the refrigerator for 1-2 hours. So all the ingredients will better stick together, and the dish will look neat. Remember to put a separate bowl on the table for used skewers.
Canape is an easy-to-prepare original snack that will help out in any situation. Fantasize! Create unusual combinations of familiar products and surprise your loved ones.
- Everything you need to know about making canapes, website .
- Canape – cooking and serving rules, website .
- 20 simple recipes for