What to do if the child has vomiting without fever25.05.2022
The list of possible causes that cause vomiting without fever is quite extensive. Parents should provide first aid to the child and contact a qualified doctor.
Vomiting without fever in a child: causes
By itself, vomiting is not a disease, but only one of the symptoms. Therefore, the first thing to do is to identify what provoked vomiting in a child .
Vomiting without fever in a child can be a sign of a serious illness
Vomiting is a defensive reaction that helps the body to expel toxic substances. The signal to the brain that it is necessary to “turn on” this reflex can come from any organs – kidneys, liver, stomach, etc.
The following pathologies can provoke vomiting:
- Spasm of the pylorus, arising from the immaturity of the nervous system, overstrain. In this case, vomiting is quite plentiful and prolonged. This usually happens in babies.
- Intestinal obstruction – more often occurs in children under 2 years old, but it happens – and at an older age. The reason is infection with helminths or pathology of the gastrointestinal tract. Symptom: Bile may be present in the vomit.
- Foreign body in the esophagus. Young children tend to “pull” into their mouths everything that comes their way. If this item has damaged the mucous membranes, you will observe blood impurities in the vomit.
- Food poisoning. Sometimes along with vomiting in this case, diarrhea appears. But it happens that only vomiting occurs.
- Inflammation of the gastrointestinal tract. Children who often eat fast food may develop gastritis, cholecystitis, pancreatitis and other pathologies of the gastrointestinal tract. In this case, vomiting of mucus and bile is characteristic. However, such conditions are most often accompanied by a slight increase in body temperature.
- Allergy. Vomiting may be the result of a reaction to any food product.
- Disorders of the central nervous system. In this case, vomiting is not related to food – it can occur at any time, regardless of the meal. This symptom is often accompanied by dizziness and general weakness.
- acetonic syndrome. This is a pathology that is characterized by a sharp increase in the level of acetone in the blood.
Sometimes vomiting occurs after a recent injury or due to severe stress. In children with an unstable psyche, demonstrative vomiting sometimes occurs – when it is artificially induced in order to attract the attention of adults. In any case, it is necessary to show the child to the doctor and undergo a medical examination.
Immediately after contacting a doctor, diagnostic measures are taken. First, the doctor examines the child and assesses the nature of the vomit. Their study may be prescribed to search for the pathogen (if the doctor suspects an infectious origin of the symptom).
Instrumental diagnostics are often prescribed – ultrasound, x-rays, etc. Immediately after the diagnosis is made, the doctor prescribes the appropriate treatment.
Whether it is worth calling an ambulance if vomiting occurs without a temperature depends on the condition of the child:
- if everything was in order in the evening, and suddenly the child suddenly vomited in a dream, you should immediately call an ambulance.
- if vomiting appeared during the day when the child is awake, and then disappeared after the first attack, observe the condition of the baby. If you feel well, you do not need to urgently call a doctor.
- if the vomiting continues and the child’s condition gets worse, call the doctor without delay. While the doctors are on their way, administer first aid:
- Do not leave the child alone, try to calm him down. Stay close, control any changes in his condition.
- Rinse your child’s mouth after each bout of vomiting – there should be nothing left in it
- Control that the child lies either on his side or on his back, but with his head turned to the side. If he lies on his back face up, during the next attack, vomit may enter the respiratory tract.
- Ventilate the room regularly.
- fluid lost with vomiting must be restored, and very carefully. If a child drinks even half a glass of water, there is a high probability of a repeated attack of vomiting. Therefore, slow desoldering is recommended – a teaspoon of liquid every 2-3 minutes.
While supporting the child’s condition in such ways, wait for the arrival of the doctors, and then strictly follow their instructions. If they say that hospitalization is needed, in no case refuse it, as the consequences can be very serious.
Treatment of vomiting without fever
Most often, with vomiting, the pediatrician gives a referral to a gastroenterologist – a doctor who treats pathologies of the gastrointestinal tract. He prescribes a special diet and a course of medications.
Even if it’s not the pathology of the gastrointestinal tract, then you still can’t do without a diet – it is required to restore the body.
If vomiting without fever is a symptom of a disease of the nervous system, it is necessary to visit a neurologist.
Sometimes vomiting is a psychological symptom. Then the child needs the help of a psychologist or psychotherapist. Be patient, because such treatment is usually quite long. In addition, it requires a change in the lifestyle of both the child and other family members.
Because vomiting is not a disease but a symptom, it does not cause complications on its own. They can appear if the therapy of pathologies that caused vomiting is not started in time. In many cases, the complications are quite serious, so you should not rush to visit a doctor.
If vomiting lasts for a long time, dehydration and weakening of the body cannot be avoided. Under the supervision of a doctor, it is necessary to give the child all the medicines that he will prescribe. You can not self-medicate – this may not give any effect or even lead to the opposite result.
Reasons may vary
Prevention of vomiting without fever
It is impossible to completely eliminate the occurrence of such a symptom, but it is possible to minimize the likelihood of vomiting. For this:
- Make sure your child always follows the rules of personal hygiene and wash their hands before eating. It is also worth washing all vegetables and fruits, including those that will later undergo heat treatment, since many bacteria are resistant to high temperatures.
- Control what your baby eats. Products must be fresh – always look at the expiration date. Minimize the consumption of fast food, chips, sugary soda.
- Try to wean the child from the fact that he pulls any foreign objects into his mouth. Control that he does not touch household chemicals and medicines.
- Make sure that the child eats on time, but does not overeat. Sometimes the body gets rid of excess food with the help of vomiting – this is especially true in infancy.
- The diet should be varied – the body needs vitamins and minerals regularly. If necessary, you can additionally drink vitamin complexes.
- In case of any deviations or suspicions of them, immediately consult a doctor. Do not self-medicate. Never prescribe medication to your child on your own.
- Preventive check-ups in the clinic.
Whatever the cause of vomiting without fever, it is easier to prevent than to cure. Follow the rules of prevention, but if the attacks have already begun – do not delay contacting the doctors and give the baby first aid. This will help prevent the consequences of such deviations.
Also interesting to read: cough to vomit in a child