The rate of calcium in the blood in children: deciphering the analysis and deviations24.05.2022
The norm of calcium in the blood in children: indicators and deviations
Parents should know how to check their child’s calcium levels. For this, a simple biochemical analysis is carried out, which can be performed in most medical institutions. Indicators of the norm of a microelement depend on age. On the form received after the study, they are indicated in mmol per liter. Normal calcium values are as follows:
- in children under 3 months – 1.9–2.6;
- from 3 months to 2 years – 2.25–2.75;
- from 2 to 12 years – 2.2–2.7;
- in boys over 12 years old – 2.1–2.5;
- in girls older than 12 years – 2.2–2.5.
The concentration of calcium in the blood depends on the diet of the child, the level of vitamin D in the body, as well as concomitant diseases.
Some children have high calcium levels in their blood. This medical condition is called hypercalcemia and is characterized by the following symptoms:
- pain in the abdomen, accompanied by spasms;
- muscle contractions in the face and limbs. A number of children have trembling fingers on their hands;
- heart rhythm disturbances;
- decreased muscle tone;
- the appearance of bruising without injury and bleeding from the gums.
- irritability and frequent mood swings.
Diuretics are used to eliminate hypercalcemia. They allow you to remove excess trace elements from the body.
Hypocalcemia is characterized by a decrease in the concentration of a trace element in the blood. The child has pain in the bones, appetite decreases and dyspeptic symptoms occur: nausea, vomiting and constipation. At the same time, rapid fatigue is observed during physical and intellectual work. Elimination of hypocalcemia is based on the intake of drugs containing calcium and vitamin D, as well as diet changes.
Deficiency or excess of calcium in the body leads to unpleasant symptoms and can threaten the health of the child. Determination of its concentration in the blood is used for the timely detection of diseases. After the results of the analysis are received, the doctor, if necessary, selects the treatment necessary for the child.
It is also interesting to read: opisthorchiasis in children