The benefits and possible harm of bread during breastfeeding for mother and child24.05.2022
Well-known gastronomic prohibitions for a woman during breastfeeding are citrus fruits, strawberries, chocolate, coffee, spicy dishes. The question of the admissibility of eating bread during breastfeeding remains open. After all, this product does not apply to potential allergens, and in general it is “everything’s head.”
The benefits and harms of bread for a nursing mother
Bread is a valuable source of energy and substances necessary for the body: complex carbohydrates, amino acids, vitamins – especially group B, protein, fiber, micro and macro elements.
Bread during breastfeeding should be in the diet of a woman
The benefits of bread for a woman during the GV period are due to the composition of the product and are as follows:
- dietary fiber optimizes the work and cleansing of the intestines;
- carbohydrates supply the body with energy;
- mineral elements are important for metabolism and other biological processes: iron for hematopoiesis, potassium and magnesium for water-salt metabolism and the nervous system, etc.;
- B vitamins are essential for skin, hair, cell renewal, brain activity, immunity and nervous system;
- vegetable protein is involved in the cleansing of toxins, improves immunity and reduces the level of “bad” cholesterol.
The possible harm of the product is that artificial preservatives, emulsifiers, flavors and other substances are added to many products that can cause allergies in babies.
Wheat bread contributes to the deposition of fat, causes fermentation and accumulation of gases in the intestines, and reduces the quality of breast milk.
Rye pastry can provoke heartburn, abdominal pain, and other dyspeptic disorders, especially if there are problems with acidity.
Is white bread allowed while breastfeeding
Of the several dozen varieties of bakery products, lactating women are not allowed to consume all of them. It depends not only on the calorie content, but also on the usefulness of the composition.
White bread can be eaten while breastfeeding, but in limited quantities
White is the most useless type of bread, it is not recommended for breastfeeding. It is high in calories, and therefore contributes to the appearance of excess weight. The flour used for white bread is made from refined grains. The shell of wheat contains a maximum of useful compounds, without them the nutritional value of bread is reduced.
In the first three months after the birth of a baby, wheat bread should not be introduced into the diet. Starting from the fourth, it is recommended to eat it in dried form and not more than 100 g per day. The use of pastries made from wheat flour is very likely to cause colic, constipation and gas in a child.
Is it possible for rye bread to nursing mothers
This bread is recommended during lactation. In it, compared with wheat, three times more iron. It is useful for the hematopoietic and nervous systems, has a good effect on intestinal motility. It is important that the flour for such baking contains at least half of the rye flour.
Black bread is allowed only if there are no problems with the digestive system – flatulence, colic, bloating, heartburn, stool disorders. If the product caused any of the listed phenomena, stop using it.
Products made from rye flour are good helpers in the prevention of anemia. Such bread is digested longer than white bread and contains fewer calories, therefore it is less dangerous in terms of gaining excess weight.
The use of black bread is contraindicated:
- women after caesarean section;
- with colic in a child;
- with problems with the gastrointestinal tract.
You need to introduce black bread slowly, starting with one piece a day in the morning. It is undesirable to choose options with the addition of coriander, cumin and other spices, as they can cause allergies in a newborn.
Bran bread with HB
It is prepared according to a standard recipe, but 1/3 of the flour consists of bran, which are crushed grain shells. It is in them that most of the valuable substances are concentrated. The most useful bran is oatmeal and buckwheat. 100 g of bran oatmeal bread supplies the body with 30% of the daily requirement of vitamin B1, 15–20% of pantothenic acid, 10% of riboflavin and up to 30% of selenium and phosphorus.
With HB, you can eat bread with bran without fear – it is very healthy
Bread with bran is valuable not only for digestion and metabolism. Its regular use has a great effect on the condition of hair, nails and skin.
Whole wheat bread
Such bread is perfectly digested, gives maximum benefit to the work of the intestines, and has a positive effect on metabolism. It can be used by a nursing mother, but it is important to choose a quality product.
Real whole grain bread is baked from whole grains that are soaked and mixed with sourdough. Do not include baked goods in which grains and seeds are simply added. Although this option, made from rye or yeast-free dough , is also useful.
Whole grains are rich in amino acids and enzymes. It contains a fifth of the daily value of vitamin E and 30% of the daily requirement for iron (per 100 g). It contains a lot of potassium, selenium, magnesium, phosphorus, zinc and sulfur.
As part of such bread there are no synthetic additives, eggs and sugar. It is considered the most useful for mother and child. It is made on the basis of natural sourdough without yeast.
With HB, yeast-free baking from whole grain rye flour is recommended – in it the vitamin and mineral composition of the grain is preserved to the maximum. Such bread normalizes metabolism, maintains water-salt balance, promotes the excretion of bile, and effectively cleanses the intestines.
Is it possible to eat bread in the first month of lactation and what
During this period, yeast-free types of bread are ideal for a nursing woman. Such a product gives milk a maximum of minerals and vitamins, helps digestion. In the first month of feeding, you can also eat oatmeal and buckwheat bread.
Crispbread as an alternative to bread with HS
Most of the breads are made without the use of yeast, they contain coarse dietary fiber, as well as complex carbohydrates that are necessary for mother and newborn. Therefore, they are healthier than regular bread. Crispbread improves milk production, they are low in calories, but give a feeling of satiety.
Bread can be eaten while breastfeeding as they are low in calories and high in dietary fiber
Consider the types of product:
- Rye contains yeast and sugar, but in safe amounts. The benefit of such bread is the presence of mineral elements – calcium, iron, phosphorus – and vitamins.
- Buckwheat – one of the most useful. They contain a lot of complex carbohydrates and vitamins, they are tasty, normalize cholesterol levels and favorably affect the functioning of the intestines.
- There is a lot of fiber in rice, they are satisfying, but you should not abuse them, because they are digested longer than other types.
- Corn is rich in B vitamins, trace elements and carbohydrates. Useful for poor digestion.
- Oats are distinguished by a large percentage of protein in their composition. Perfectly cleanse the intestines, help in strengthening the immune system, which is especially important with a tendency to colds.
Like regular bread, rolls should be introduced into the diet gradually. Start like this: eat two or three loaves of bread and track the reaction of the child for two days. If everything is in order, continue using. In the first two or three weeks of feeding, it is better to eat them in the morning. The daily norm is not more than 100 g.
Oatmeal can be made at home: grind 300 g of oatmeal and 50 g of flaxseed in a blender with one tablespoon of olive oil and a little salt. Then, adding water at room temperature, knead the dough of medium density, put it in an even thin layer on parchment, oiled, cut into pieces and bake for 20 minutes in the oven at 180 ° C.
Recommendations for eating bread while breastfeeding
Bread is a source of minerals and vitamins necessary for a person. Do not refuse it after childbirth during lactation. In doing so, do not ignore the following rules:
- Do not eat white bread made from premium flour. Baking from wheat flour is processed in the body for a long time, causing discomfort in the intestines.
- Add bread to your diet gradually, start with one piece a day, eating it for breakfast.
- The mass of bread eaten per day should not exceed 50 g from the second month, and starting from the third – 100 g.
- Yeast dark bread is introduced into the diet from the second month of feeding, the flour should be coarsely ground.
- “Yesterday’s” bread during breastfeeding is much healthier than freshly baked. Fresh pastries from the menu are removed completely or eaten a little once or twice a week.
The bread must be well baked. Otherwise, the yeast and additives present in the dough are digested worse, have an irritating effect on the gastrointestinal mucosa.
When choosing bread, lightly squeeze the loaf in your hand. If she quickly returned to her previous shape, then the product is of good quality. If it remains deformed, it is not baked.
Be careful when buying bread. Despite the fact that they are intended for healthy and dietary nutrition, it does not hurt to read the composition before buying a new product. Bread should not contain flavor enhancers, preservatives, flavoring additives and antioxidants.
During the period of breastfeeding, dark and yeast-free bread, as well as different types of bread, will bring maximum benefit to both mother and baby. Introduce the product into the diet gradually in small quantities. And do not forget about the rules for choosing quality bread.
Also interesting: how to organize nutrition during pregnancy