Stomach hurts during pregnancy: when to be alarmed24.05.2022
The state of a woman during pregnancy changes in an unpredictable way. Girls in position can experience a lot of unusual sensations, and quite often the lower abdomen hurts in pregnant women. Do not be afraid and panic, this will only aggravate the condition of the expectant mother and baby.
It is worth remembering that in most cases this condition is physiological in nature and does not pose a danger. But sometimes such pain can warn of the development of pathologies during pregnancy, so a young mother should know all the subtleties of this unpleasant sensation. And it is very important not to hide this condition from the specialist who leads the pregnancy, since it can indicate very serious violations and even indicate the possibility of losing a child.
Firstly, there are different types of pain, and secondly, the week of pregnancy in which the girl encountered this sensation is important. This is what the doctor evaluates during consultation in cases of such complaints.
When pain in the lower abdomen is a safe symptom
Since from the very beginning of the conception of a baby in the body of a woman there are many changes that are imperceptible at first glance, pain can be observed, which should not be considered a pathology at all.
Thus, the body simply signals an unusual state.
Harmless causes of pain may include:
- In the early stages, this sensation may be a sign that a fertilized egg is being introduced into the tissues of the uterus. This process is called implantation of the fetal egg, and after a few days the pain disappears.
- Unstable functioning of the digestive system that occurs due to pregnancy. In this case, the girl often experiences a feeling of bloating in the abdomen and difficulty defecation (constipation). The consistency and color of the stool also change. These symptoms also go away without treatment after the body gets used to the presence of the embryo.
- At the end of the first trimester, the uterus becomes larger and changes its position. This is what causes pain. Stretching of the muscle tissue can cause this condition.
- Increased production of the hormone progesterone, which helps form the birth canal during pregnancy, can also cause abdominal pain because it makes the ligaments and joints more elastic. The action of the hormone extends to the uterus, which causes characteristic pain.
- At a later stage of pregnancy, somewhere in the third trimester, the cause of this phenomenon may be the impact of the baby’s legs or arms. When the baby has grown up, his movements can cause pain if he sharply pressed on any internal organ. This happens especially often when the mother’s bladder is full.
Only a specialist after examination and examinations can affirmatively say that the cause is harmless. A woman should not wait and hope that everything will pass by itself. If you remain silent at the first sign of violations, you can provoke a lot of complications that are unsafe for the health of the mother and child. Therefore, it is better to immediately tell the doctor about the discomfort than to ignore the problems and bring the situation to a critical one.
Abdominal pain during pregnancy as a signal for the development of pathologies
Carrying a baby is a rather long and difficult process for the body of any woman. And, unfortunately, not everyone goes through it without pain and various deviations. If a pregnant woman has pain in the lower abdomen, then you should immediately assess the possibility of the presence of such disorders as:
- Uterine hypertonicity is the most common cause. This condition is quite dangerous, it requires monitoring by doctors and treatment. The uterus becomes inelastic, which makes it difficult for the baby to fit properly in the womb and can lead to miscarriage. Pain in the abdomen in this case is also accompanied by a pulling pain in the lumbar region.
- Frozen pregnancy, when the baby loses viability in the womb. Often in this case, there is an increase in body temperature, nausea and vomiting, and the symptoms that accompany pregnancy disappear.
- An ectopic pregnancy is also accompanied by pain in the lower abdomen. This means that the embryo does not develop within the uterus and in the tubes. If you do not see a doctor in a timely manner, this can lead to rupture of the tubes, which has quite serious consequences for the woman’s body and can greatly complicate further attempts to become pregnant.
Such conditions are often accompanied by smearing discharge of various colors and consistency, this is a sure sign that you need to immediately contact a specialist. Such conditions can lead to irreversible consequences, so you can not hesitate, you must immediately fix the problem under the strict supervision of doctors.
Exacerbation of chronic diseases
In the first stages of pregnancy, a woman’s immunity decreases so that the body does not reject the embryo. This can lead to an exacerbation of chronic diseases. Also, this phenomenon may occur as a result of an increased load on all organs and systems, since during this period a woman needs to cope with ensuring the vital activity of two organisms.
In this case, the intensity and type of pain can be very diverse. Despite the fact that these conditions do not directly affect the girl’s ability to bear a child, they can indirectly cause a violation of the development of the baby or a sharp deterioration in the mother’s condition and her inability to fully spend the period of pregnancy and childbirth.
Conditions that can cause abdominal pain during pregnancy include:
- Cholecystitis is a disease of the gallbladder, which is accompanied by sharp pains in the right side of the abdomen. Also, the girl’s body temperature rises sharply and vomiting appears. In addition, bitterness in the mouth may occur.
- Gastritis can also worsen during pregnancy, since squeezing the stomach during the birth of a new life in the uterus can make it difficult to remove gastric juice, which provokes a relapse of the disease. In this case, in most situations, the pain spreads to the upper abdomen, and only sometimes it is transferred to its lower part.
- Pyelonephritis, inflammation in the kidneys, often occurs due to the fact that the excretion of metabolic products from the organs is difficult. The condition is characterized by aching pains, as during menstruation, which are given to the lower back. Inflammation can pass without an increase in temperature, but simple tests will immediately show the presence of this pathology.
- Cystitis is a disease of the bladder, dangerous for the spread of infection through the reproductive tract, which can lead harmful microorganisms directly to the child. This disease is accompanied by painful and frequent urination. Blood impurities in the urine may also be observed.
- Acute appendicitis. The situation occurs when the organ is inflamed, and this requires emergency medical attention, often surgery. In a woman, such an ailment is accompanied by a prolonged attack of pain, which changes intensity, while the temperature rises and vomiting begins.
All these diseases are considered severe and dangerous for both the mother and the baby. They need serious attentive therapy, which is mainly carried out in a hospital. Often doctors have to use drugs that are strong enough to keep a woman’s ability to bear a baby. But it is not worth hoping that it will be possible to recover from these diseases on your own.
Without the attention of a doctor, ailments will develop and provoke new deviations.
At the time of bearing a baby, the proper functioning of each organ is important, so it is necessary to monitor the general state of health. In preparation for pregnancy, a woman needs to be examined qualitatively and, if possible, solve health problems.
Tips for relief
These tips can only be used after consultation with a doctor and a clear understanding that there are no pathologies and chronic diseases, since if there are any, the doctor prescribes a certain treatment and gives specific recommendations on nutrition and lifestyle. In some cases, for example, it is necessary to minimize movements throughout the pregnancy and follow a strict diet in order not to provoke an exacerbation of diseases.
But if abdominal pain appeared due to non-dangerous physiological causes, then several important recommendations should be remembered:
- You shouldn’t overeat.
- You need to spend at least 4 hours a day outside.
- It is important not to forget about measured walking in the morning and evening.
- It is necessary to eat light foods that reduce the burden on the digestive organs, kidneys and liver.
- No need to take any drugs, even vitamin complexes, without a doctor’s prescription.
All this will help strengthen the body and give it the resources to cope with such a difficult task as bearing a child. If there are no pathological factors at the heart of the pain, then it will pass within a few weeks.
After giving birth, a woman can completely forget about these unpleasant sensations. The main thing is to carefully monitor your health and changes in the body. It is worth listening to your body, and it will tell you what violations it has. Modern gynecology and obstetrics, in turn, have a large arsenal of tools to make pregnancy as comfortable and painless as possible.
Photo: Depositphotos, Rexels