How to straighten hair at home24.05.2022
There are several effective ways to straighten your hair. All of them have their own performance characteristics.
How to straighten hair with a flat iron
If your hair is curly and unruly, in most cases you can’t do without ironing to straighten it. This device is in the form of tweezers, having metal, ceramic, titanium and other plates. It is not recommended to use the device with metal plates – after its use, the hair dries out and becomes brittle. It is preferable to use products with ceramic plates – they evenly distribute heat, glide through the hair and do not destroy them.
Only dry hair can be straightened with an iron.
When using ironing, do the following:
- Wash your hair with the usual cosmetics. Dry them with a towel and apply a heat protectant. It creates a thin film on the surface of the hair, which protects against temperature effects. The curlier the hair, the more product you need to apply, since to straighten them you will have to hold the device several times in the same place.
- Dry your hair naturally, without a hair dryer. Do not straighten wet hair, as it is very sensitive to high temperatures.
- Divide your hair into several strands – the thinner they are, the better they will align. Start straightening from the back of the head, and fix the rest of the strands with hairpins. Then take out one strand and straighten them with an iron. The device must be advanced from the roots of the hair to the tips. You can not hold the device for a long time in one area, as you can burn your hair. If the device is of high quality, one movement is enough to align.
- Go to straightening the strands at the crown.
- Style your hair and fix the styling with varnish – so the hair stays straight longer.
- To make the styling voluminous, you need to straighten only the upper strands, and do not touch the inner ones. You can also use foam or mousse to add volume to your hair.
This method will help to quickly straighten curls. But you can use it no more than 2-3 times a week, because when exposed to high temperatures, the hair is damaged, dried out, and over time, their appearance worsens.
How to straighten hair with a hairdryer
To straighten your hair with a hairdryer, you need to follow the following sequence of actions:
- Wash your hair with shampoo, apply balm, dry with a towel.
- Comb with a comb with rare teeth.
- Divide your hair into several strands. Start straightening with strands near the face, and fix the rest with hairpins.
- Each strand must be straightened separately. To do this, lift the curl, and attach a round comb from below. Wrap your hair around it and then blow dry. The airflow temperature of the hair dryer needs to be adjusted. For less harm to the hair, it is recommended to use cold air, but this way the hair will dry longer. Do not heat them with too hot air – this may damage them. Repeat for each strand 4-6 times.
- After drying all the strands, comb the hair with a flat brush. Laying can be fixed with varnish.
This straightening method is suitable for wavy hair. Strongly curly hair may not straighten completely.
When straightening hair with a hairdryer, you need to use a flat or round comb
Straightening hair with a curling iron
You can use a curling iron to straighten your hair. It should have a large diameter of 2.5-5 cm. This will allow you to straighten wide strands in one go. A device with a small diameter is also suitable, but in this case, the straightening process will take longer.
To straighten your hair with a curling iron, you need to do the following:
- Wash your hair with shampoo. Apply conditioner to the ends of the hair – it protects them from damage, improves their appearance, prevents splitting of the hair and the appearance of split ends.
- Apply a heat protectant. Distribute it from the tips to the roots with massaging movements. To add volume to damp hair, you can apply mousse.
- Dry the strands with a hair dryer. Tilt your head down and direct the flow of hot air from the roots to the ends of the hair. The hair dryer must be constantly moved, without holding it in one place, so that the hair warms up and dries evenly.
- Connect the curling iron to the network, select the optimal temperature: for dense thick hair – 200-230 degrees, for medium-density – 180-190, for thin – 130-170 degrees. Leave for 3-5 minutes to heat up.
- Divide the hair into strands, start straightening from the back of the head, stab the rest of the curls with clips. In order for the strands to be well aligned, their width should not be more than 2.5 cm. You need to open the clamp of the curling iron and fix it at the hair roots. Run the device from top to bottom, as if with an iron, all this time the clamp should be closed.
- Repeat the manipulations for all other hair. It is necessary to carry out the curling iron slowly so that the strands are well leveled. It is not recommended to touch the same curls several times – this can damage the hair.
- Fix hair with varnish. It will give the hair shine, they will not begin to curl and remain straight for a long time.
To preserve the beautiful look of the hairstyle, it is not recommended to touch it with your hands. Otherwise, the hair will quickly grow fat and look sloppy.
How to straighten hair without curling and ironing at home
Only a curling iron with a clip is suitable for straightening hair
To straighten your hair without ironing and other tools, you can use one of the following methods:
- Use home remedies. Moisten your hair with milk, then cover your head with a cap and walk for 30 minutes. Wash off with warm water and shampoo. Dry your hair naturally. Milk not only straightens hair, but also makes it shiny and silky.
- Use the right cosmetics. For example, you can choose a shampoo or conditioner with keratin – this substance has leveling properties. Then, on dried hair, apply a straightening spray or serum that does not need to be washed off. Comb your hair until the product is completely absorbed.
- Screw curlers. But in order to straighten the hair, only curlers with a wide diameter are suitable. For all hair, you need to use 12-15 curlers, depending on the density. Take wide strands and wind them on curlers, then fix them with hairpins. Hair should be slightly damp. Leave the curlers for a few hours, then remove. You can do the procedure at night, but with wide curlers it can be uncomfortable to sleep. This method helps to style unruly hair. After the curlers, the strands will be a little wavy and voluminous.
- Apply straightening masks. To get the effect, they should be used regularly, but not more than 1-2 times a week. A straightening mask can be prepared at home. For example, mix 1 tbsp. vinegar and chilled boiled water. Add 1 tsp. melted almond butter. Combine the ingredients and apply a thin layer along the entire length of the hair.
The above methods help only slightly align the strands. But such methods do not harm the health of the hair and are safe for them.
To align the strands, you can use various methods. Instrumental methods are the most effective, but you need to choose a high-quality device that brings the least harm to your hair. Toolless methods are less effective, but after using them, the hair remains healthy.
See also: how to wind your hair without curlers and curling irons