How to choose the right baby monitor: types, parameters, reliability24.05.2022
The modern world sets new pace of life for absolutely everyone, including young parents. A newborn baby requires a lot of attention and care, but many mothers have a lot of other things to do at the same time that cannot be put off.
So that at any moment you can know what is happening with the baby, a very convenient thing has been created – a video baby monitor. She not only can transmit sounds from the baby’s room, but also show what he is doing.
There are many models of such devices on the market, so we decided to help you understand them and tell you about all the pros and cons of this interesting device.
What is a video baby monitor
A baby monitor is a digital video surveillance camera that transmits image and sound from the baby’s room. You can watch the child from anywhere in the house (apartment) or even from anywhere in the world if the camera is connected to Wi-Fi.
The video monitor consists of two blocks:
- One unit acts as a transmitter and has a video camera: it is installed in the nursery.
- The second block works as a receiver and has a screen: the parent carries this block with him.
The transmitter microphone picks up any noise from the nursery, and you can see what the baby is doing on the receiver screen.
How is a baby monitor different from a baby monitor?
The baby monitor only transmits audio between transmitter and receiver. This is enough to look after a very small child while he is in the crib. If the child is already crawling or walking, a baby monitor will be more useful, as it transmits both sound and image. There are car baby monitors to keep an eye on your child in the back seat without taking your eyes off the road.
Pros and cons of baby monitors
- the ability to see the baby at a distance and even in complete darkness (there is a backlight);
- if you have a remote control, you can turn the camera to any position;
- bright touch display with a clear interface;
- temperature and humidity sensors;
- reproduction of records of lullabies, voices of parents;
- using a microphone and speaker, you can talk with the baby;
- round-the-clock shooting in any light (for baby monitors with IR illumination);
- Wi-Fi connection to the camera from a smartphone or tablet.
- high price;
- the signal does not travel far enough;
- high energy consumption.
What to look for: types of video baby monitors and main functions
Baby monitors come in analog and digital. The former are cheaper, but they also have a simpler set of functions. The latter are more expensive, but the functionality is much wider:
- Analog baby monitors often pick up interference from nearby household appliances. The neighbor’s video baby monitor can pick up your signal, or yours will pick up someone else’s.
- Digital baby monitors are more reliable and resistant to interference. Clearly convey sounds, words. These baby monitors are more expensive, but more suitable for regular use.
There are also IP baby monitors, they work through a software application. For them, an Internet connection is required, but monitoring a child is possible from anywhere in the world.
The main parameters of baby monitors
When buying, check if the connection is lost at a particular distance. Sometimes the signal can be severely distorted if Wi-Fi is nearby – this creates interference. The range of a baby monitor depends on two parameters: the power of the camera’s transmitter and the presence of obstacles in the signal path.
Please make sure the picture is clear enough before purchasing. This parameter depends on the type of power supply, on power. For powerful models, only autonomous power is suitable, because they require more energy than the battery can provide.
Stability of reception and transmission of video and audio signals.
The baby monitor operates at a frequency of 2400-2483 MHz. Many other wireless devices operate on the same frequency, so interference is created. In addition, the signal from your baby monitor can be intercepted by third parties, as a result of which it will even be possible for third parties to monitor your child’s nursery.
To minimize such situations, you should choose a digital baby monitor, its signal is transmitted in coded form and is better protected from interference and interception.
A baby monitor is a very convenient device for busy moms. It can be a good helper if you choose responsibly and carefully consider how and when this device will be used.
- Laktyukhina E. G. Smart things of the century: new technologies in parent-child relations // Logos et praxis. 2019. Vol. 18. No. 4.
Photo: © Depositphotos