Child tooth pain24.05.2022
It is important for parents to know how to behave in a situation when a child has a toothache, because toothache is an unpleasant phenomenon that children endure very hard. Here you can not do without the participation of a dentist, but it can be difficult to get to him as soon as possible. In this case, you can ease the discomfort in order to calmly wait for medical help.
Causes of toothache in children
More often, toothache appears due to caries – an infectious lesion of the tissues of the tooth. A noticeable sign of a carious lesion is the appearance of brown or dark brown areas on the enamel in the form of dots, short lines, and later depressions.
Toothache in a child most often occurs due to neglected caries
In addition, the following phenomena that cause toothache are distinguished:
- Periodontitis is an inflammation of the area around the tooth. It causes bad breath, redness, swelling, and later – destruction of tissues and exposure of the neck of the tooth.
- Periodontitis is damage to the ligaments that hold the tooth root. It is characterized by severe pain when pressed in the area of the affected tooth, swelling, inflammation of the gums adjacent to it, and later – loosening of the tooth.
- Mechanical damage to the tooth. Bruises or blows often expose the nerve endings in the tooth, causing pain or sensitivity to cold and hot.
- Foreign object. Pieces of solid food stuck in or between the teeth can also sometimes cause pain.
- Teething. Soreness occurs both in infants with the growth of milk teeth, and sometimes in children of preschool and primary school age when permanent teeth erupt.
- Aggressive effect of food. Citric and acetic acids, dyes, flavors and other additives destroy tooth enamel. Because of this, the teeth become sensitive to temperature.
- Residual pain after tooth filling or nerve removal. In this case, if the doctor observes the filling technology, no treatment is required, except for a one-time use of painkillers.
A child’s teeth can hurt due to inflammation of the upper respiratory tract: sinusitis, otitis, and others. In this case, discomfort is not associated with dental pathologies and disappears after treatment by an otolaryngologist.
First aid for toothache in a child
To take appropriate measures, establish the cause of the pain. To do this, the child’s oral cavity is first rinsed with warm boiled water, and then examined.
Diagnosis: examination of the oral cavity for toothache in a child
Regardless of the cause of pain, the child is provided with appropriate nutrition. It should not be hot or too cold. Spicy, sour, sweet, salty and other irritating foods are excluded. Medicines for first aid are used in accordance with the indications and age restrictions prescribed in the instructions.
Help with caries
With a carious lesion, dentists do not recommend applying any medicines to the diseased tooth, as this can worsen the course of the disease. It is better to use anesthetic suppositories, tablets or syrups. In this case, preparations with ibuprofen or paracetamol will be preferable. In this case, you should get to the dentist as soon as possible.
Medical care for caries, depending on the degree of damage, consists in filling the tooth or removing the nerve and subsequent filling.
Inflammation of the gums and oral mucosa
If stomatitis, gingivitis and other inflammations of the oral mucosa are suspected, decoctions of medicinal herbs are used. In this case, plants with anti-inflammatory and antiseptic effects are suitable:
- pharmaceutical camomile;
- medicinal sage;
- Oak bark;
- eucalyptus leaves.
The decoction is prepared in accordance with the instructions on the package and used to rinse the mouth 2-3 times a day. To relieve pain, special gels containing lidocaine and other anesthetics are also used.
After consulting a doctor and diagnosing, antiseptic sprays, rinses, dental gels and ointments with antiviral, antifungal or antimicrobial action are used.
Mechanical causes of toothache
If the pain is caused by a piece of food stuck in the teeth, the foreign body is carefully removed with dental floss or clean tweezers. The oral cavity is rinsed with boiled water or a weak saline solution.
A child may have a toothache due to stuck food
If the enamel is chipped or cracked as a result of the blow, the child should be fed with mushy or liquid food at a temperature of 35-40⁰С. This will help you avoid discomfort while eating. If the pain persists at rest, the child is given pain medication with ibuprofen.
When a tooth is cut
Teething causes great concern in infants. Normally, the first teeth appear at 5-9 months. To recognize this phenomenon, young mothers need to know its signs in infants:
- swelling of the gums in the place of the proposed tooth and the appearance of a bright area on it;
- sleep disturbances, frequent hysterical crying, anxiety;
- refusal of food;
- elevated temperature;
- runny nose and nasal congestion;
- the child chews toys vigorously, pulls fingers into his mouth.
With the appearance of milk teeth, both all of the listed signs and some of them are observed.
To relieve pain during teething in infants, painkillers and anti-inflammatory dental gels are often used, which are allowed at this age. If there is no effect, suppositories and syrups with ibuprofen and paracetamol are used at an age-appropriate dosage.
Normally, the symptoms of teething go away without medical intervention within 1-3 days.
If unpleasant manifestations last longer, the child should be shown to the pediatrician. Also, a doctor should be visited if the teeth did not appear within the first year of life, began to erupt before 3 months, or appear out of order.
The formation of permanent dentition, as a rule, begins at the age of 5. At this age, teething is easier to bear, but in some cases there is also sometimes pain, which can be alleviated with the same medicines.
Pain after filling
Normally, after therapy , a child’s tooth hurts for 1-2 days. If the discomfort persists after the expiration of the specified period or after the time after filling, you should visit the dentist. To alleviate the pain syndrome, the same remedies are used as for the pain caused by caries.
Over time, unpleasant sensations weaken or intensify. Left unattended toothache sometimes causes the following serious consequences:
- flux – acute inflammation of the root of the tooth, accompanied by the appearance of a tumor of the gums and cheeks;
- tooth loss;
- tooth cyst;
- inflammatory processes in the fatty tissue of the maxillofacial region;
- inflammatory diseases of the internal organs as a result of the spread of a purulent process with the bloodstream;
- in extremely advanced cases – meningitis and mediastinitis (inflammation of the chest), threatening death.
Early diagnosis and treatment is essential to prevent serious consequences. Only a dentist can properly carry them out.
To prevent the occurrence of dental disorders in a child, you should follow simple rules:
- monitor oral hygiene with the advent of the first incisor;
- from a year old, brush your teeth in the morning and in the evening using a children’s toothbrush that matches the age of the child;
- limit sweet and sour;
- rinse the mouth with warm water after each meal;
- visit the dentist every six months.
Toothache is not only a painful symptom, but also an alarming sign that threatens with serious consequences. Therefore, when it appears, it is important to establish the cause of discomfort and show the child to the dentist in time.
Also on the topic: teething in children up to a year and older