Allowed foods for a diet with thrush24.05.2022
Diet for thrush is based on limiting sweets
The purpose of the diet
Yeast fungi from the genus Candida are opportunistic microflora of the vagina. For them, the acidic environment, which is created due to lactic acid, is harmless. Candida feed on glycogen – carbohydrate compounds that accumulate in the vaginal epithelium under the influence of estrogen. Depleted cells are necessary for the reproduction of lactobacilli, but fungi also survive at their expense. They begin to multiply actively with a decrease in immune defense.
A diet for thrush should be aimed at curbing the growth and reproduction of pathogenic fungi. It cannot be the basis of treatment, but is included in the scheme to prevent the recurrence of the disease. Proper nutrition helps:
- suppress the activity of fungal flora;
- create conditions under which thrush cannot progress;
- populate the vagina with lacto- and bifidobacteria;
- stimulate immunity.
The indications for switching to a new type of food are as follows:
- acute vulvovaginal candidiasis;
- chronic vulvovaginal candidiasis with frequent relapses;
- thrush occurring with other diseases, for example, diabetes mellitus, taking coritecosteroids.
The results of dietary changes are not as pronounced as the use of antifungal agents. Proper nutrition is an addition to the main treatment.
Glucose is required for the growth and reproduction of fungi. From it, candida are able to synthesize all the substances necessary for life, produce carbon dioxide and water, which create optimal conditions for them.
Glucose in the vagina is formed from glycogen contained in the cells of the dead epithelium. Its storage activity is regulated by estrogens. With hormonal deficiency, glycogen does not accumulate in the mucous membrane, the substrate for the reproduction of lactobacilli disappears, and the acidity of the medium changes. Due to the lack of beneficial bacteria, the protective properties of the vaginal contents decrease, the environment becomes less acidic. Under these conditions, opportunistic pathogens begin to multiply.
High blood sugar is also harmful. In women with high glucose levels, when eating a large amount of sweet, the result is the suppression of the activity of normal microflora.
Constantly elevated glucose levels not only harm the reproduction of lactobacilli. It slows down the process of restoration of the epithelial lining, and the detached cells accumulate in the vagina, which leads to an increase in the concentration of glycogen.
During pregnancy and endocrine disorders, stimulation of the development of thrush occurs due to a violation of the hormonal regulation of the renewal processes in the vagina. The following changes are harmful:
- reduced insulin levels;
- excess corticosteroids.
Indications for diet – acute or chronic thrush
In order for the diet to bring maximum benefit, the following rules must be observed:
- reduce the amount of incoming carbohydrates, as well as fructose and maltose;
- exclude products with yeast;
- completely abandon substances that increase the allergization of the body;
- use dishes in the menu that positively affect the intestinal microflora;
- increase the proportion of natural fungicides.
The duration of the diet is at least three months in a row. The results will be noticeable in the absence of breakdowns or relaxation for the entire duration of therapy. Be sure to combine proper nutrition with medication. Folk methods, alternative medicine can only act as a supplement.
What products are prohibited
Prohibited products for patients with vulvovaginal candidiasis should be completely excluded for the period of therapy. Disruption and inclusion of them in the diet will lead to diet ineffectiveness. You need to abandon the following menu items:
- sugar-containing products – sweets, any pastries, cakes, ice cream, carbonated drinks;
- sweet fruits – fresh, dried or canned;
- some vegetables rich in sugars and starch – potatoes, beets, carrots;
- alcohol in any form;
- kvass is undesirable due to the presence of an analogue of glucose – maltose;
- pasta, white bread;
- fresh milk;
- caffeinated drinks – coffee, strong tea, cocoa, energy drinks;
- any products with dyes and preservatives;
- sweet yoghurts containing flavors, various additives;
- marinades, sauces, mayonnaise, ketchup;
- spicy seasonings, smoked meats.
Beer, red wine are products of fermentation, because yeast fungi are used. But they differ from the opportunistic pathogens present in the body. These drinks are banned due to the ability of ethanol to convert into glucose through simpler biochemical reactions.
Despite the large number of restrictions, permitted products allow you to eat fully and varied. The diet should be built on the basis of:
- fermented milk products – kefir, natural yogurt, ideally homemade, a small amount of butter is allowed;
- fresh, stewed or baked vegetables, any, except for prohibited ones, sauerkraut;
- garlic as an additive in dishes, has an antifungal effect;
- sweet and sour fruits and berries – apples, citrus fruits, cranberries, plums, blueberries;
- lean meats – chicken, turkey, beef;
- fish in any form;
- seafood due to the content of iodine helps to suppress the growth of fungi in the body;
- vegetable oils for dressing salads, cooking;
- pumpkin seeds, nuts, sesame;
- legumes – peas, beans, lentils, contain a large amount of vegetable protein;
- cereals – buckwheat, oatmeal, barley, rice act as a source of carbohydrates.
You can improve the taste and aroma of dishes with the help of cloves, bay leaves, fresh herbs, cinnamon.
Traditional coffee or tea can be replaced with herbal decoctions with immunomodulatory, anti-inflammatory effects. Useful drinks from rose hips, black currants, lemon balm, mint, hawthorn, raspberries and oregano.
Recommendations of doctors – eat vegetables and dairy products
Nutrition during pregnancy
In pregnant women, thrush begins due to the physiological restructuring of the body. Normally, there is an increase in the amount of vaginal discharge and a woman cannot always distinguish between pathology. Itching and burning may also not bother. At the same time, fungal cells and their spores are found in a smear for microflora, which shows the active reproduction of microorganisms.
Treatment with antimycotic drugs gives a temporary effect. After the end of the course, several weeks pass and the symptoms return. Constant use of drugs is harmful, it leads to an increased risk of side effects. The range of approved drugs for pregnant women is small, so you can form resistance in fungi and not get the result of treatment.
Under these conditions, an antifungal diet is the best way to maintain a normal vaginal flora and reduce the risk of recurrence.
The nutrition of pregnant women should be high in calories, but not at the expense of simple carbohydrates. It is necessary to include more fish, meat, if there is no allergy – nuts, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds.
A sour-milk diet will help maintain normal bowel function, reduce the frequency of constipation, which is one of the risk factors for violations of the vaginal microflora. The absence of sweet, starchy foods is useful for maintaining a normal weight and preventing obesity, gestational diabetes and complications such as pregnancy edema, preeclampsia.
It is useful to include sour-milk products in the menu
Return to normal diet
Medical recommendations for dieting are designed for 3 months. But after the end of this period, you can not abruptly return to the old eating habits. A large intake of glucose will stimulate the reproduction of fungi and the return of symptoms of the disease.
The transition period should be at least 3-6 months. At the same time, the first products that they begin to try are natural fruits, raisins, dried apricots. They are included in a small amount in the diet daily and observe the reaction. If there is no itching or burning in the vagina, and the discharge remains normal, you can move on to the next product.
Sweets, flour pastries, alcoholic beverages are introduced into the diet as the latest. Sometimes at this stage there is a return of symptoms of chronic thrush.
Despite the return to the use of products containing simple sugar, you can not refuse permitted foods, reduce the amount of vegetables and fruits. Sweet should remain a delicacy that you can sometimes afford for dessert. Flour dishes are not the basis of proper nutrition, like sweets. And alcohol harms the body, regardless of the amount or type of drink taken.
Diet therapy for women with chronic candidiasis is a good way to support the body, reduce the risk of exacerbation of the infection. It is based on the basic principles of proper nutrition, which include the rejection of simple carbohydrates, an increase in the proportion of vegetables and fruits, and lean meat. A distinctive feature of the diet is the recommendation to increase the amount of fermented milk products that improve the acidity of the body and the composition of the microflora.
See also: thrush before period